Mar 30, 2010

Tagalong Tuesday

Things have slowed down a bit in the Bryant home, so I will try to get my blog back on track. However, with LDStorymakers Writers Conference right around the corner, and me desperately trying to get my new book roughed out so I can pitch it to an agent, I may be slacking a little during the weeks to come. After all, there's no reason to maintain a following if I'm not actively engaged in my work in progress and constantly trying to get published. Am I right?

So, here are today's selection of wonderful blog posts:

A little while back I learned something new about my writing---as much as I love to write by discovery, the kind of stories I love best don't happen to me by accident. Some authors seem to be able to do it, but now that I've finished three manuscripts I can see that story is the aspect I struggle with the most. (Rebecca J. Carlson (MMW)-A New Way to Write)

So what if your baby has a big nose and squinty eyes and abnormally large jowls? You'll never know. You'll just never know. Because, to you, your baby is perfect. (Jessie Oliveros - You Have an Ugly Baby)

5. You search the medicine cabinet for a cure for your headache because the dogs are so excited to be outside with their "friends" that they don't stop barking. All. Day. Long. (Danyelle Furguson - You Know It's Spring When...)

There's a way to tell powerful stories in a powerful way. I think you lose that power when you "fall back" on brutal details, even if they are true. It doesn't add. In fact, I think it diminishes actual victims more than anything. (Taffy Lovell - Writers Are Therapists)

I know a lot of you are writers who write female protagonists. I'm sure most of you woke up this morning and thought to yourself, 'How can I make my main character more needy?' Well, thank goodness you're reading this because I just happened to watch a movie last night that helped me immensely in this area. I thought I would share the wisdom. (Kasie West - How To Write a Helpless Girl)

Well, there you have it. Enjoy going to these blogs and reading the wonderful posts provided for you. Have a great week.

4 comments:

  1. Christine, you're so awesome for your research on bits of wisdom from those blogs! Hope you can get your story done on time! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Tagalongs! Love the links. I'm doing the same thing with my WIP. I can't believe storymakers is so close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! Love your great ideas for blogs, especially this one.

    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love reading your Tuesday Tagalongs. Thanks Christine. You are so awesome. I can't wait to meet you at Storymakers!

    Carolyn Frank

    ReplyDelete