Jan 29, 2010

Friendly Friday - Nichole Giles

Nichole Giles was born in Nevada, the oldest of seven, and moved with her gypsy-esque parents to a number of cities in and around the Midwest, mostly staying in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and snatches of time in Texas. Her future aspirations include adding a tropical island to her list. For now, she plans to travel to as many tropical locations as possible, scouting for her future home in paradise. In the meantime, Nichole lives in Pleasant Grove, Utah with her husband, two sons, two daughters, two golden retrievers, and the community of fairies that live in her yard. As her family and friends will tell you, laughing is at the top of her list of daily to-do’s, and she believes laughter is the perfect cure for a broken heart.


What Drives Me?


By Nichole Giles


I’ve done a bunch of blogging recently. Probably to make up for the fact that I didn’t blog much at all during December and the first half of January. Or maybe it’s because I’m inspired lately. No reason in particular. Usually, winter is a time of introspection for me, a time of deep thinking. Which doesn’t generally translate into inspiration, but instead steals my desire to write. Strange, I know.


I’m not a big fan of winter. Or, well, winter in Utah. I’m sure I’d feel differently if I lived in Hawaii, or the Bahamas, or somewhere else tropical and beautiful. The cold and gloom often feels like a heavy weight that sits on my chest. And who can write with a brick on their chest?


But I do write during the winter. I’ll often catch myself staring at a blank screen, my fingers unmoving, but every day I force myself to get something onto the page. Some days I’m actually productive. Others, I’m happy to have gone through my emails, updated Facebook and Twitter, and read a few blogs. Regardless of the day, though, I always, always try.


Because I’m driven to write, and motivated that what I write will someday be published. This isn’t just a goal for me, but a lifestyle. A mission. A purpose. Sometimes, it’s a reason for existing.


Okay, so I’m driven to write. But driven by what? Because, putting words on a page is just that. Words on a page. Right? Hm. So, what really drives me? Geeze. Now I’ve stumped myself. Good one. Let me think for a minute.


*Taps side of head, chin, elbow. Stares out the window at the mucky, icky air. Listens to children come in from school and pound on piano and play guitar. Helps with homework. Comes back to the computer. Sighs at life’s twists and turns.*


I’ve got it! I’m driven by life. By the endless possibilities in my future, and the futures of my family, my children. I’m driven by human emotion, by what my words might someday accomplish. By the example I set for others—especially my children—by following my dreams. I’m driven by what lies ahead, as well as my experiences from the past. And hope.


I have so much hope inside me that someday I’ll write something that will change someone, help someone, inspire someone. I hope to be remembered when I die. To leave an imprint on the world—hopefully a good one. These hopes, desires, dreams—whatever you want to call them—burn like lava in my gut and translate into my writing.

I am driven to write, so I do. I am determined to be published, so I submit. I hope, I dream, I live. I’m driven.


Someday, maybe I will live in a tropical paradise, and writing in the winter will be easier. Cake even. But if not, I’ll continue to try. As long as I live, I’ll feel the drive that pushes me onward and upward. I’ll live my life with hope and determination. Because those two things have a history of changing the world.

And every change starts with someone.


Thanks, Christine, for inviting me to be your guest. I’ve enjoyed my time visiting with your readers. To see more of my work, visit my blog or website.


Until next time, WRITE ON!


Thanks for being my guest today, Nichole. The best part of having a guest on my blog is getting to know each of you better.

Keep writing.
Keep submitting.
Keep dreaming.

Don't forget to pick up one or both of Nichole's books.


The Sharp Edge of the Knife will be available for purchase any day now.
She'll be announcing her launch party in a week or two, so watch her blog for the announcement.




Next week my guest blogger will be
Rachelle J. Christensen.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Nicole and C.K.

    And speaking from experience (mine that is), living in a tropical paradise isn't all that it's cracked up to be. ;) Every place has its pluses and minuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already have touched lives, Nichole. You've touched mine. All the same, I wish you as much success as you can possibly hold.

    Another great guest blogger, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun interview. And I totally hate winter in Utah. Why do we live here, again? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You touch my life weekly. I wish that all your dreams will come true. Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, C.K. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind words. I love making new blog friends. I look forward to getting to know you better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is it that all writers feel like kindred spirits? Thanks so much, Nichole, for sharing you. And thanks, KC, for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone. *waves* Hi Christine! I just thought I'd pop in and say thanks to everyone for commenting.

    And now, back to writing!

    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Nichole. I love how driven you are ~ you have ALWAYS been an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post! So inspiring. You have amazing talent, Nichole, and I'm so happy to call you my friend. You're a wonderful person and your dedication to the craft of writing is admirable and inspiring. I think you said something to touch all of our writer-ly hearts.
    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post, Nichole! But wherever you live, in chilly Utah or sunny Arizona, the writing block can haunt you. You just have to sit down and type your way through it, the way you describe in your post. That's why you're a success as a writer, my friend! Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your post, especially your drive to write. I can totally relate. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, thanks for all the encouragement everyone. So fun.

    Now, time to go write until the sun comes out, right?

    Nichole

    ReplyDelete