Jan 3, 2011

Looking Forward




While everyone else is writing about their resolutions, I can't help but wonder if setting the same goals I've failed to achieve in the past is such a good idea. Sure, I'd like to lose weight and be healthier. And, yes, spending more time with my family is definitely on the top of that list of things I need to pay more attention to, but as far as sitting down and making solid resolutions . . . I just can't seem to do it.

Failure seeps into my mind every time I think about it.

So instead, I'm making a list of things I'm looking forward to. That way I'll be focused on the future and not on my failures of the past. So here's a list of what's to come--in no particular order.

1 - Breathing.  I'm looking forward to making time for ME. Settling back in a place where I feel safe and comfortable with a good book and just breathing, meditating and getting in touch with my inner self. I've missed her lately.

2 - Giving Hugs. I'm looking forward to telling everyone around me how much they mean to me, but more than that, showing them. I long for the romantic moments with my eternal companion and the fun and crazy moments with my son. I crave the camaraderie with friends both near and far, new and old. I can't wait to build on those relationships.

3 - Expressing Myself. I long to find more ways of expressing my feelings, whether through writing prose or poetry, through song or spoken word. I look forward to finding projects that not only challenge my creativity, but teach me patients and commitment. I want to learn and grow and share my gifts and talents with others.

4 - Service. There are so many things I can do in my church and community to help others. I look forward to seeking out those opportunities and giving as much as I can to assist those that are less fortunate than me.

5 - Travel. I've been stuck indoors for so long, I've forgotten what it's like to enjoy nature. I crave the fresh air and can't wait to surround myself with what God has created. Recording those images with my camera will be a plus.

6 - Self Esteem. I will strive to tune out all those that put me down and do not believe in me. I can't wait to feel better about myself and not have to worry about what others think when I go out into the community, especially those involved in the publishing world. I am marketable. I am of worth. I can do this.

7 - Fitting In. Not what you think. I'm looking forward to making healthy choices and being able to fit into those expensive clothes that hang in the back of my closet. I can't wait to love my body just the way it is and still want to improve it for me, not for anyone else. Chubby fingers are beautiful.

And that's my list. Nothing fancy. Nothing profound. Just me.

Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

  1. I can't do resolutions either! This looking-to-the-future is my kind of list! Perfect. Definitely keeps one from dwelling on the mistakes and disappointments of the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely resolutions, er, goals, um, looking-forward-to things. I like 'em!

    And you ARE beautiful.

    ReplyDelete