Nov 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Traditions

Just like everyone else who's having Thanksgiving dinner at their house, I'm busy getting everything ready for tomorrow; cleaning the house, making sure I have everything I need from the store, trying to stay out of the mini marshmallows that will eventually grace the top of my yams. It hasn't been easy, but I know the reward will be SWEET! (And I don't mean the marshmallows)

Most people look forward to sitting down with the family, filling their plate with all the goodies and gorging themselves until they can't do anything but take a long nap or lounge around watching football on the big screen.

Not me.

I save room for what comes a few hours later.  The construction of the Weston Family Turkey Sandwich--something my grandfather created and has been passed down through the generations. I've yet to find someone outside our family that likes them or will even try them, for that matter. Even the in-laws refuse to eat them. What makes it so different? Well, we put everything on it, and I do mean EVERYTHING.

Here's how to make one:

Miracle Whip (Not mayo, ack)
Cranberry sauce (I cheat with the canned stuff)
Turkey (I prefer white meat)
Dressing (homemade sage dressing, not the boxed stuff)
Yams (with tiny marshmallows if the kids haven't picked them all off)

Smash it between two pieces of bread, slice in half and tell your taste buds to hold on to your tongue because they're about to be impressed. (The picture above isn't the actual sandwich, but the closest I could find online)

That's it. Simple, right. I think it's the yams that gross everyone out, but they really make the sandwich.

So, I'd like to challenge everyone to give it a try and let me know what you think.

What traditions do you have that are different than most? I'd like to know.

3 comments:

  1. That does sound interesting. A nice way to use leftovers. I'll have to try it. We like to have celery with Cheez Whiz as an appetizer. I don't know how many others do that, but it's one of my favorite Thanksgiving munchies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was with ya 'til the yams, Chris. Have a great Thanksgiving and enjoy your sandwich.

    ReplyDelete