About the author:
D.N. Giles was born in Nevada, and moved with her parents to a number of cities in and around the Midwest, mostly staying in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and snatches of time in Texas. Her future aspirations include adding a tropical island to her growing list of locations. For now, she plans to travel to as many tropical locations as possible, scouting for her future home in paradise.
Her early career plans included becoming a megastar actress or a rock star, but she decided instead to have a family and then become a writer, in that order. Writing is her passion, but she also loves to spend time with her family, travel, drive in the rain with the convertible top down, and play music at full volume so she can sing along.
About the Book:
Most people would have panicked, sitting bound and gagged on a boulder in the middle of the desert as I was, but for some reason, I didn't. A strange kind of reassurance washed over me from somewhere deep within. Whether it was peace that I'd go quickly, or comfort that I was being protected, I wasn't sure.My Review:
When Mel Petersen leaves for work on the morning of February 7, he has no idea what awaits him. A few miles from his house, Mel picks up a pair of young men who appear to be college students, hoping to prevent them from having to walk in the cold. What Mel doesn't know is that the men are actually convicts on the run from the law who are desperate to get away by any means necessary.
When one of his passengers holds a knife to Mel's throat, he has no choice but to submit to the demands of the criminals. Mel hopes he has what it takes to talk his captors into letting him live so he can return to his wife and children, but fears they will kill him before he has the chance.
Based on a true story, The Sharp Edge of a Knife follows Mel and his captors on an unforgettable ride that will have you questioning the depth of your faith and sitting on the edge of your seat as it grabs your attention from the first sentence and keeps you riveted until the very end.
The Sharp Edge of a Knife is based on an actual event that happened to Nichole's grandfather. Knowing this simple fact before I picked up the book made me want to read it even more. I was not disappointed. Nichole has a gift for telling a story. The love she has for her grandparents is woven within each chapter in the way she accurately portrays, not only this horrific event in their lives, but the details she chooses to share with us. In the chapters written in her grandfather's point of view, I felt like I was there, sitting in the back seat of the car next to his stack of books, silently praying for his safety right along with him. While reading the story from her grandmother's point of view, I was sitting at the kitchen table watching the children play at her feet. I can't remember being so drawn into a true story like I was with this one. I was so touched by the spirit at the end, that I cried real tears.
And to make it better, Nichole's detailed researched is shared at the end of the book, with copies of newspaper clippings and photographs of her grandparents and their children. What a wonderful gift she has given to their descendants and her family. Well done, Nichole.
Nichole is having a contest on her blog. The details are below:
The Sharp Edge of a Knife Blog Tour and Giveaway!
To celebrate the release of The Sharp Edge of a Knife, I’ve put together an exciting giveaway, with several opportunities to win. Since the book deals a lot with making choices, the prizes all have something to do with choice.
So, choice number one: the winner gets to choose a watch band and face so that their watch is personalized to their tastes and fashion needs.
Yes, I realize that a beaded watch is not exactly a prize to be coveted by a bunch of masculine men (though it makes a great gift for the woman or girl in your life), which is why I’m also giving away more great stuff. Check out the following really cool prizes:
1. Choice between: An autographed copy of the New York Times number one bestselling novel, Wings by Aprilynne Pike—or—a non-autographed copy of The Darwin Awards, Intelligent Design by Wendy Northcutt—or—a numbered, autographed copy of Recovering Charles by Jason F. Wright. Click here to learn more about Wings, here to read about The Darwin Awards, and here to find out about Recovering Charles.
2. Choice between: A $25 gift certificate to the Restaurant Morelia in Murray, UT (Sorry out-of-state peeps, this is local to Utah.) or $25 worth of vinyl lettering by Whaddayawannasay Vinyl Lettering—you choose your quote or phrase.
Bonus prize for author types
3. You may substitute any of the above selections with the following incredible opportunity: The chance to sit in on a critique session with my wonderful, amazing, incredible critique group. While there, you will be treated to not one, but six critiques on the first chapter of your work in progress. This is no ordinary group. We have in our midst some fabulous authors including Tristi Pinkston, acquisitions editor for Valor publishing and author of the Secret Sisters series, Danyelle Ferguson, freelance editor and author of (dis)Abilities and the Gospel—who will edit via internet, since she actually lives in Kansas—Heather Justesen, author of The Ball’s In Her Court and the upcoming release, Rebound, Kimberly Job, author of I’ll Know You By Heart, and Keith Fisher, up and coming author of women’s fiction and plotting genius, and Nichole Giles, also known as D.N. Giles.
**If you are not local to Utah, but would still like this option, we will still critique your chapter online.
**If enough people enter this contest, I reserve the right to choose extra winners and give away some, or all, of the prizes left after the top three winners have made their choices.
Entries will be accepted between March 15th and April 3rd. On April 5th Nichole will announce the contest winners on her blog. Entry requirements:
1. You must be a follower of my blog.
2. You must leave a comment telling me which prize you want to win and why.
3. For those wishing to win the watch, you must go to Watches by Lisa and become a follower, then come back and tell me which watch combination is your favorite.
1. Blog about this contest, then come back and leave either a url address or a link in a comment.
2. Twitter this contest, tell me where to see your tweet in a comment.
3. Follow me on Twitter.
4. Follow Nichole on Twitter.
5. Facebook the contest. If your Facebook page is private, and I’m not your friend, I can’t see that you’ve done this, so you’ll need to friend me.
6. Become a fan of The Sharp Edge of a Knife on Facebook.
You may enter this contest here, as well as on any of the tour posts at the following blogs:
March 15th Cindy Beck, Review
March 16th David J. West, review, interview
March 17th Cindy Beck, Interview
March 18th Tristi Pinkston, review
March 19th Rachelle Christensen, review
March 22nd Shanda, LDS Women’s Book Review
March 23rd Kimberly Job, review
March 23rd Keith Fisher, Interview
March 24th Heather Justesen, review
March 25th Christine Bryant, Review
March 26th Kimberly Job, interview
March 26th Heather Justesen, interview
March 27th Keith Fisher, review
March 28th Ali Cross, Review
March 29th Rachelle Christensen, Interview
March 30th Heather Gardener, Fire and Ice Book Reviews
March 31st Danyelle Ferguson review, interview