Jun 15, 2009

"Taming the Heart" - Progress

I spent Friday and Saturday in Salt Lake City, Utah at a seminar put on by Dave Wolverton AKA: Dave Farland. Friday evening's session was pretty routine, getting to know Dave and meeting other class members. But Saturday was filled with so much information, my brain hurt. One of the highlights of my day was when I was eating breakfast in the hotel cafeteria and Dave walked in. He came right to my table, said good morning and asked to join me. For the next 30 minutes, I had a one-on-one conversation with one of the GREAT Sci-Fi/Fantasy writers of all time. He asked about my book and encouraged me to send him my first chapter so he could take a look at it. I couldn't believe how down to earth this man was and how approachable he is.

The second, and certainly not the least exciting thing, was having lunch with both new and old friends. Along with my friend Becky, there was Candace Salima, Lisa Peck and David West. What an enjoyable day.

The best part was being able to talk to Candace about the progress of my book, Taming the Heart. I submitted it to her publishing company, Valor Publishing Group, about two weeks ago and hadn't heard back. Her comments were encouraging and hopeful. I keep thinking this weekend was a turning point in my writing career, whether through the information I received, or from meeting new people and making friends, I don't know. But regardless, I had a great time and am still glowing from the effects.

4 comments:

  1. Great news, Christine! I've been to classes Dave has taught, and he is definitely a great guy. Good luck.

    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That does sound like a great time. It's the same feeling I got after attending the LDStorymakers conference and the Whitney award ceremony. I love going to writer's conferences and retreats. I'm counting the days until it's time to go to the ANWA writer's retreat in July. Being around other writers is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was a lot of fun ... wish I could have gone, but I'm gonna try for next year. And everything I've ever seen about Dave shows he's a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate lunch with Dave at the LUW spring conference. He was awesome and was genuinely interested in all of the unpublished authors at the table. We had an awesome conversation. Then on the way home my son realized I had eaten lunch with the author of "Mice and Magic" and was hyperventalating. LOL

    ReplyDelete